OMG – These guys are so easy to make and are absolutely awesome on our Beef Satsivi. Try making them and let us know what you think.
1 medium red onion
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup rice vinegar, white wine vinegar, or apple cider vinegar (or a mix)
1 small clove of garlic
5 black peppercorns
5 allspice berries
Additional flavorings (optional):
3 small sprigs of thyme
1 small dried chili
- Peel and thinly slice the onion into approximately 1/4-inch (or thinner) moons. Peel and cut the garlic clove in half.
- Bring 3 cups water to a boil.
- In the container you will be using to store the onions, add the sugar, salt, vinegar, and flavorings. Stir to dissolve.
- Par-blanch the onions: place the onions in the sieve and place the sieve in the sink. Slowly pour the boiling water over the onions and let them drain.
- Add the onions to the jar and stir to evenly distribute the flavorings.
- The onions will be ready in about 30 minutes, but are better after a few hours. Store in the refrigerator. They will keep for several weeks.